Small, fleshy/soft bracket fungus with apparently rust-brown spore mass

Es gibt 6 Antworten in diesem Thema, welches 816 mal aufgerufen wurde. Der letzte Beitrag () ist von Steve_mt.

• I am seeking you assistance on this interesting bracket fungus on fallen / logged stump of Pinus halapensis (31/1/23) which seems to produce rust-brown spore mass. Sample collected if I need to do some micro-work. The basidiomycetes are rather leathery-soft, and their width is about 3 cm.

Gloeophyllum ?

• Hi Steve,

Gloeophyllum is correct, but it is not easy (only by the picture) to tell whether it´s abietinum or sepiarium. Abietinum is widespread in the Mediterranean region, sepiarium has a larger substrate spectrum and likes pinus more than abietinum does.

Greetings – Rika

• I was reading Polypores of the Mediterranean Region and there was a nice clue on differentiating Gloeophyllum sepiarium from abietinum. G.Sep. forms a black reaction with KOH while G. ab. does not. My specimen (dried) did react strongly to 3% KOH; hence it must be some old population of G. sepiarium. Other hints leading to this determination include zonation at the outer parts of the fruiting body and warty sterile surface (no signs of hairs ?! but maybe because old?). Spores are said to be quite similar, so I did not check them.

drop of 3% KOH on sterile surface (edge and centre)

Pics in this webpage are also close to my specimens.

Gloeophyllum sepiarium
    Gloeophyllum sepiarium This is an interesting, and interesting looking, fungi, a seeming polypore with gills rather than pores, though genetic testing has…
    10000thingsofthepnw.com

• Hello Steve,

Thank you for your friendly and informative feedback!

In any case, G. abietinum has much larger distances between the "gills", but without comparison this will not help you so much. Some books say: G.s. up to 20 gills/cm on the outer edge, G.a. up to 10/cm – I think this information is too extreme.

But prehaps you could take a picture with a ruler?

GpBW (Großpilze Baden-Württembergs) states that all Gloeophyllum species turn black with KOH. G.a. is quite rare here, otherwise I would test it quickly.

In GpBW's Gloeophyllum key, abietinum and sepiarium are only distinguished by the distance between the "gills". Both species may be zoned (G.s. more zoned) and hairy (glabrous when old), the growth line of G.s. should be orange-yellow, those of G.a. "bright"...

Yes, the spores are quite similar, but only G. a. should have encrusted cystidia!

Greetings – Rika

• Quick note before I sleep... the gills seemed to be widely spaced but I think I was dealing with an old population (expand with age?) and , 20 gills per cm = 2 per mm seems too crowded. Yet my book cl3arly states in the remarks that sepiarium is distinguished from abietinum from the KOH reaction and in the description of abietinum there iscwritten not reactive to KoH.